Madalena Dress Pattern (PDF) - Knitting Pattern by Phibersmith Designs
Also available as a kit
I designed this dress as a gift for my niece’s first birthday, and she wore it until she was two and a half. The open design and laced back closure give it fantastic versatility: not only did it fit for more than a year, it was a cool cotton dress for summer, and adorable over leggings and a long sleeve shirt during the winter.
My Madalena is a vibrant little girl with incredible eyes full of imagination. She is named for a faraway place. Who will you make yours for?
This top-down dress features a repeating petal pattern forming the yoke and skirt. Elaborate diamond lace decreases in the full skirt create the illusion of extra layers. Moss and garter stitch add texture, while the lace stitches keep it cool for warm weather.
Made with growing babies in mind, the back closure is laced up for easy size adjustment, and the generous skirt won’t restrict movement. Depending on the child’s size, the dress will fit for up to a year and a half. For colder weather, the lace is adorable layered over long sleeves and leggings.
The pattern is charted whenever possible, with written instructions to accompany all charts. For easier reading, the two sizes are presented as separate sets of instructions and charts.
Sizes: 6 - 12 months & 12 - 24 months. Size shown is 12 - 24 months.
Tools & Materials:
- Yarn: Sport weight (Cascade Ultra Pima Fine, 100% pima cotton, 50g = 136 yds/ 125m)
- Needles: US Size 4 - 3.5mm (plus crochet hook for edging)
- Gauge: 23 sts & 29 rows = 4"/10mm in Stockinette stitch, unblocked.
Stitches Used (beyond K & P)
- K2tog - knit two together
- SKP - slip 1, knit 1, pass slip st over
- SK2P - slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slip st over
- YO - yarn over
- KFB - knit into front and back of same stitch (inc 1)
- lace knitting
- knitting in the round
- casting on additional stitches at the end of a row
- short rows
- crochet edging