Guelph Yarn Club Safer Space Policy
This Safer Space Policy is intended to help the Yarn Club to be a supportive, non-threatening environment to all who participate in our meetings and events. The Yarn Club was created in the spirit of inclusive community engagement. As such, the members and guests are encouraged to be proactive in their acceptance and validation of others’ experiences, opinions, beliefs, and identities, except where those opinions and beliefs impinge on any participant’s feeling of personal safety. Oppressive behaviour or language will not be tolerated.
- Be aware of your prejudices and privileges and the space you take up at Yarn Club.
- Respect peoples’ opinions, beliefs, experiences and differing points of view.
- Respect everyone’s identity and background, including pronouns and names.
- Make no assumptions regarding an individual’s background, gender identity, sexual preference, lived experience, health, etc.
- Be responsible for your own actions; be aware that your actions effect others, regardless of intent.
- Listen and change your behaviour if someone tells you that you are making them uncomfortable.
If you are unable to abide by these guidelines, the Yarn Cub organizer reserves the right to ask you to leave.
Please communicate any behaviour that has made you uncomfortable to the Yarn Club organizer. You may do so in person at a meeting, via email at email@example.com or anonymously via this online form.
This policy is a living document and will be updated as needed. The organizer welcomes any feedback as to its completeness and accuracy.
This policy was created with help from the Safer Space Policy at Bluestockings Bookstore, with my thanks for its scope and clarity.
Please also see the Phibersmith Designs Online Safer Space Policy